The Archdiocese of Grijzestad is an archdiocese of the Roman Catholic Church in Brunant. It is the Primatial See of Brunant and the center of the Ecclesiastical Province of Belgium, which covers the whole of Brunant. It is governed by the Archbishop of Grijzestad, who is also the primate of Brunant.
The current bishop is Manuel Basque.
It was created as a diocese in 1423, and despite not being the oldest dioceses, it soon became the center of the Catholic Church in Brunant, which was centered around based at Grijzestad Cathedral. In 1787, it was elevated to the status of an archdiocese to reflect its importance.
There are three suffragan dioceses to the Archdiocese of Grijzestad, which are dioceses under the Ecclesiastical Province of Brunant, which are:
List of Archbishops of GrijzestadEdit
This is an incomplete list of Archbishops of Grijzestad:
- Lodewijk Kirkgarde (1915-1935)
- Michiel Brunner (1935-1948)
- Hendrik Darnant (1948-1955)
- Carles Franza (1955-1972)
- Nicolas Kiessling (1972-1976)
- Alixandre Villanova (1976-1995)
- Peter Van Marwijk (1995-1999)
- Manuel Basque (1999-2019)